Bible study ‘Gospel of Luke’ – Chapter 11
Before reading this blog/Bible study, please start your time with first praying to God and allow the Holy Spirit to work in you and through this Bible study. Ask God to give you insight and knowledge to understand the secrets and treasures He has stored for us in this chapter of the Bible. Also I ask to read (even more then one time) the chapter first before proceeding with reading this Bible study. God knows what you need to learn, not me .. I just write what I receive from the Holy Spirit.
Dear brothers and sisters,
Today we will be talking about Chapter 11 of the Gospel of Luke. Welcome to this new Bible study serie in which we will undergo a journey through the Gospel of Luke.
This chapter tells the following stories:
- Jesus’ teaching on prayer
- Jesus and Beelzebub
- The sign of Jonah
- The lamp of the body
- Six woes
Jesus’ teaching on prayer
The disciples are now discussing with Jesus on the subject of prayer. They want to know how to pray.
Jesus first tells them a prayer that is very powerful and which we should all know and speak out:
“Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation”.
Jesus makes a comparison to a friend that will not help you at night. But Jesus let you know that if you have a bold prayer (that you ask God what is on your heart) that He wil be the friend that will help you in that moment of the night. This shows that for God is very important that we always seek His presence through prayer. Jesus tells it the following way:
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened”.
Jesus and Beelzebub
When Jesus drove out a mute demon, a part of the crowd that Jesus was driving this demon out by the power of Beelzebub and not by the power of God. Jesus really rebukes them very powerfully by stating that a house divided will fall. It is not logical to have Jesus driving out a demon on the authority of another demon. This by itself should be evident enough that Jesus is working by Gods authority. But we will also come across these kind of people that will even look for ways to discredit your work for God. But God will make sure that their lies will never have any ground!
Also God let us know that anyone that obeys the word of God will be blessed.
The sign of Jonah
This part of the chapter is important for 2 reasons.
The first reason is the question raised by some people of Jonah was a real person or that the story was “just” a parable. This chapter shows that Jonah was indeed a real and existing man, which also shows that the story of Jonah and Nineveh actually happened, because we now see that it is Jesus that confirms that Jonah really exists by making this comparison.
Also God makes the comparison with Jonah. Jonah after was sent to Nineveh by God to urge them to repent their sins and come back and close to God. During that timeJonah was in the belly of a bigh fish / whale for three days (and reading the story of Jonah there is reason to believe that he died and was ressurected. This story shows a large comparison with the life of Jesus! Therefore Jesus is now refered to as the one greater than JOnah, because Jesus also came to earth sent by God to rescue a wicked generation. But with Jesus He came for all of us!
The lamp of the body
When we become Christians we should be aware that others will look at us and judge us based on our actions and behavior. Jesus tells us that it is very important that when people look at us that we are giving a good view of Christians. Don’t forget that your evil or wrong action does not only reflect bad on you, but also on Christians in general.
Also be proud to be a Child of God and don’t hide your faith, but let everyone see and feel the light of the faith in God that you have!
Jesus, while visiting the home of a Pharisee, warns us about 6 things:
- Don’t get stuck on looking good on the outside. Although it is important to give a good impression to others, you have to make sure that your innerself is also good. If you are wicked on the inside, then the outside will not matter!
- Don’t think that by giving your tenth to God that this justifies all your behavior or that it is enough in the eyes of God. God wants us also to make sure justice is served and that God is loved by us.
- Never let a position in work or social life become so important that it becomes the main focus of your life. Make sure that God is always the center of your life!
- Make sure that you don’t become pushovers. God wants us to be strong in our faith, therefore do not allow anyone to let your faith be pushed aside, because they are giving you are hard time over it.
- God hates is when we put so much burden on each others that the other can hardly carry that burden. God wants us to help each other out and not place burdens on each other!
- Don’think that i will find favor in Gods eyes when you take care of a deceased man of God, but your forefahter is responsible for killing Him.
Furthermore, Jesus again lets us know that we need to always seek knowledge so we can grow in our faith! Never be content with your level of faith, but continiously grow in your faith.