Behind the music – Hotel California
Dear brothers and sisters,
Today I will be discussing the hit song ‘Hotel California’ from The Eagles. This band has been for a long time one of my favorite bands and I just to love to listen to this song. But the more I got to know about this song, the harder it is also to listen to this song.
The title of this song (Hotel California) is based on official statements from the band to be on the materialistic and high-pace time in California in the 70’s (this song was released in 1977). However when doing some research it will become clear that it has to do with something else.
The title ‘Hotel California’ is a song about a hotel on California street or in California. In the latter it is supposed that this song title is about a former Christian church abandoned in 1969 and was taken over by a group of satanist start a satan’s church. Also what is a fact is that on California in 1966 in the black house the Church of satan was founded by Anton la Vey. And (again) in 1969 in that house he published his satanic bible.
So the title already gives a very good indication that there is a demonic influence in this song. And why do I put emphasize on the year 1969 and on Anton la Vey? Well read further.
The album cover and booklet
The cover of the album ‘Hotel California’ on which the song with the same name is included looks like this:
Not much to mention on this album cover, however if we look into the booklet from this cd then we will come across some things worth mentioning:
On the insite of the booklet we see the band standing at the inside of the hotel. Nothing special you would think, but if you look closely there is someone standing on the first floor watching the party. Closer examination shows it is Anton la Vey. Why have this man (a known satanist) on your photo? Considering the name of the song has already to reference to the church of satan, it is only further prove that there is something demonic with this song, when you enter the first leader of that church.
But is this the only thing wrong with this photo? If you have a close look to the the band on the photo you will see 2 strange party guest:
When we look closer it looks to be 2 demonic entities at the party. We can establish for sure that it are nor normal guest, because they don’t look human. Also why include Anton la Vey and these 2 demonic creatures? Because when you sell your soul to the devil for fame in music, he also wants you to openly show signs of it (this will come back more often in my ‘behind the music’ blogs.
The lyrics to this song are:
“Hotel California”On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night (1)
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell (1)
And I was thinking to myself,
“This could be Heaven or this could be Hell” (1)
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor (2),
I thought I heard them say…Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here (2)Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget
So I called up the Captain,
“Please bring me my wine” (3)
He said, “We haven’t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine” (3)
And still those voices are calling from far away, (4)
Wake you up in the middle of the night (5)
Just to hear them say…
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin’ it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis
Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said “We are all just prisoners here, of our own device” (6)
And in the master’s chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives, (7)
But they just can’t kill the beast (7)
Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door(8)
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before(8)
“Relax, ” said the night man, (8)
“We are programmed to receive.(8)
You can check-out any time you like,(8)
But you can never leave! “(8)
Analysis of the lyrics
Based on the numbers I placed in the text I have given my analyses of this song:
- In this first part of the song. A traveler is driving through the desert and sees light in the distance, a hotel, where he can rest. In this song they tell us that he heared the mission bell, but before entering he ask himself could this be Heaven or could this be hell? So not only do the Eagles tell us that he stops at an hotel that has a mission bell (so therefore must originally have been a church), but also he is not sure when going into this hotel (a previous mission / church) if he will enter heaven or hell. So this part of the song confirms that this song is indeed about the satan’s church (in a Christian church / hotel that was made into a place for the satan’s church.
- The traveler is hearing voices that are telling him that it is good place and it open the whole year. It becomes clear that no human is telling him this, but also why mention these things in a hotel (hotels normally are open the whole year and more or less a nice place to stay when on the road). This seems to be a way of the devil luring us into sin (we all know that when we are about to sin, that there is also a voice telling you that it is okay!
- The traveler no asks the captain (apparently in the hotel and restaurant business this is the person responsible for the hotel or restaurant or bar) bring me wine. And he gets the reply we don’t haven’t had that spirit since 1969! First of all, this year was already mentioned as the year this former Christian church was taken over by a satan’s church. Also since that year a spirit has left. And doing some research will show that wine is not a spirit but a fermented grape drink. So what spirit are they talking about? This must be the Holy Spirit leaving that place as it is no longer used to worship God! Also why mention wine? Well because wine signifies the blood of Jesus! And from the moment that the satanist took over that place it is safe to assume that Jesus was not welcome there.
- Again a mentioning of voices (far away), which again is without the mention of humans being there. So most likely it refers to spirits.
- As we read (with reference to 3am in my last blog on sound of silence) before the middle of the night (or 3am) is often referred to as the time demons are most active.
- When we sin we are prisoners of our own device (by our own fault or cause).
- This is said to refer to the beast also known in the Bible as the antichrist. And he will be fatally stabbed, but will not die. So it looks like the Eagles are singing this for the antichrist.
- Finding your way out of sin (especially when very deep in occultism) may be very hard as is mentioned in the song that the traveler cannot come back. And then he is told by a night man (most likely a demon) that he should relax, because we are all programmed. Again an open declaration by a band that the devil uses music to program us! Also that we can never leave once we are in his claws. Luckily God is more powerful so there is luckily a way out.
Next blog will be on Stairway to Heaven.